What is Career & Technical Education?
Career & Technical Education (CTE) is educational opportunities that allow students to gain technical knowledge and skills based on academic and industry standards to prepare students for future careers and further education and/or training.
What are Career Clusters?
There are 16 different career areas, with the majority of occupations split into 16 different clusters. Career Clusters contain several career pathways. The Career Clusters consist of:
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology & Communications
- Business Management & Administration
- Education & Training
- Finance • Government & Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality & Tourism • Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
- Manufacturing • Marketing
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
Can Career & Technical Education students earn college credits while in high school?
Yes, for certain classes. If the class has been preapproved through the university, students who earn a C or above will receive both high school and college credit for the course. If a student takes a 3-credit university course, YKSD will provide 1 high school credit. If the course is 2 or 1 university credits, respectively YKSD will grant 0.5 high school of a credit or 0.25 high school of a credit. College credit is most often offered in the Education and Health Science Career Pathways.
How many credits of Career & Technical Education do I need to graduate?
Students are required to earn 0.5 CTE of a credit in order to graduate; however, students are highly encouraged to take multiple CTE courses. In order for a student to graduate with Career Pathway Honors students will have to earn 2.0 credits in a specific career pathway!
What are Career Pathways?
Career Pathways are a series of courses and learning experiences for students based on a particular career area that is in a career area of high need and in high demand in our state and region. The Career Pathways allow students to explore a variety of occupational opportunities within a specific career are while learning work-related skills and knowledge common to that particular career area.
How many Career Pathways are there?
The Yukon-Koyukuk School District has four Career Pathways:
- Service Careers
- STEM – Computer Science
What is the purpose of the Career Pathways?
Career Pathways allow students to prepare for a future career in a specific area. Being part of a career pathway allows students to gain:
- Skills and knowledge relating to a specific career area
- High School Credit
- College Credit
- Industry Certifications
- Work-based learning opportunities including job shadows, internships, and work experience
- Career-related student club membership
- First priority to camps, academies, and extracurricular activities relating to a career pathway
- Career Pathway graduation honors